3.23.2008

Spring Science Project

Walking through my local home improvement store last weekend, I could not resist the call of Spring any longer. I shelled out ten bucks to set myself up with a mini-greenhouse and a small selection of seeds.

I chose:
Spicy Globe Basil- my all time fav herb
Fernleaf Dill- Greg's all time fav herb
and
Catnip- because you can't leave the kitties out when it comes to fav herbs

I filled my little petrified soil pods with water and watched them expand. Then, I coded toothpicks so each seedling friend could be identified later. I dropped several seeds into each pod and wished them well.
A week later, I have results. I've researched various techniques on how to keep my little friends happy as they make their journey from greenhouse pod plants to -hopefully- my herb garden in a few weeks. Heck, if enough of them make it I can give some away to friends or even sell the leftovers at our neighborhood garage sale. Organic basil anyone?
In another totally Suzie Homemaker move today, I set up a clothes line in our backyard. I'm currently enjoying watching some towels blow in the breeze in complete noncompliance to HOA rules. I plan on only putting it up when I use it and once the trees fill in, I doubt anyone but us will see it. Hey, I'm just trying to save the earth here and relish a simple pleasure. We'll see out it all plays out....

5 comments:

Maigh said...

Me too, me too!

I have baby lavender, mint, rosemary, basil, oregano and ...um...something else you cook with rocking their little green brains out in a sunny spot on my desk at home.

YEAY FOR SPRING!

Maigh said...

PS Jealous of your laundry line.

gwen said...

I have to admit, you little pods were my inspiration.
Oh- and the towels on the clothes line came out crunchy just like the ones at the hostel. Good thing they were just dishtowels and Winslow's bath towels!

Danielle said...

awwww, crunchy towels. reminds me of my hippie upbringing. we didn't have a dryer for the early part of my childhood... and living in maine, outside clotheslines only worked for a few months, so the living room by the wood stove worked well too. they came out crunchy no matter where they dried.

Laura and Eldad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey