11.24.2009

An Experiment in Food

I know after the sunny fall days are gone all I'm going to be left with are short, grey days and most likely the onset of self-diagnosed seasonal affective disorder aka seasonal depression. After a pretty tough winter in 08, I decided I would give myself a fresh start for 09. My chosen path for better health in mind, body and spirit: raw foods.

My thought process followed the lines of: Hey, this will detox my body and help me feel energized. I should be drinking less caffeine and alcohol any way. So, the weeks went by and I did my research and I devised my plan. I would start by eating two raw meals and one cooked meal. This seemed reasonable. Oh, and I was cutting caffeine completely out and limiting alcohol drastically. I made my meal list (including things like: smoothies, raw cheese, sprouted breads, salads) and ventured off to Kroger and Whole Foods to make my rather expensive purchases. Heck, at this point I thought I could go completely raw by week three.
A recap of Week One:
Day One: I started the day attempting a salt water flush. Look it up if you must. Any-hoo, it didn't work. That was followed by a banana, blueberry and kefer smoothie....meh. Lunch was a huge salad with raw apple cider vinegar and cold pressed olive oil dressing...yums. This was accompanied by a raw miso soup (warmed to 114 degrees) with seaweed, carrots and mushrooms.....disgusting. Needless to say, I was rather discouraged with day one.
The rest of the week encompassed me trying a sprouted hummus (gross) and finally finding my stride with the smoothies and meals. Not to mention the soul crushing caffeine withdrawal headaches.
The beginnings of Week Two:
I've blown the raw foods off a total of three meals thus far. Oh, and there is no way I would be able to fully transition to raw foods. What have I learned so far? Well, the recipes suck and the only physical difference I've noticed overall is better digestion. I'm going to wrap things up later this week because I at least have to eat all the good food I bought.
Oh well.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Don't let the raw foods get you down! My friend in G'ville had me try some of her recipes, and there's no way I could eat more than two raw meals a week, much less a day. I'm trying to fight the SAD with more outside, in the form of running and dog walks :)

Danielle said...

phew, all that raw talk made me nervous... what would we do together if you cut out booze, caffeine and brunch staples (eggs, pancakes, etc.)?! I'll be happy to have old Gwen back with maybe a few more salads thrown in.

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com : background image by Patrick Hennessey